Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Gingered Quinoa

As I have mentioned in prior posts...I love Ginger. Ginger ale, ginger snaps, candied ginger (dip it in some dark chocolate and I nearly go comatose), and cooking with ginger. As I recently found the bottled grated ginger I have been able to experiment more and enjoy it's tangy spicy flavor to my little hearts desire. As rice has been one of the main side dishes to most of my dinners, I really needed something different. Quinoa is such a nutritional powerhouse so I try to make it frequently. The husband really isn't a huge fan of the little seed, but I found that he gobbles it up when I prepare it this way (as well as my munchkin). 

It's very very simple to prepare. If you can cook rice, you can cook quinoa. Normally my "go to gadget" for cooking rice is my little Red Rival rice cooker, but as I am using oil and sauteing I use my cast iron rice pot (I THINK that is what it's called. 

I don't have any pictures of the process today :( BOO! I know. It's so easy to prepare though, there really wasn't much to take pictures of. 

Anyway, start out with 2 teaspoons coconut oil and warm it up on medium. Once the oil is melted and warm (not hot), toss in 1 teaspoon of minced garlic (or that fabulous bottled garlic or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder), 1 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder), and 1/4 cup diced onion. Saute on medium for a good 5-8 minutes or until the onion is tender. Sprinkle in a couple dashes of salt (approximately 1/4 teaspoon) then pour in 2 cups water. Raise the burner temperature to high and bring to a boil. Pour in 1 cup of VERY rinsed quinoa, lower heat to medium/low, cover and let simmer for about 20-25 minutes. Great thing about quinoa is you are not going to cause it to become sticky and mushy (as rice does) if you lift the lid to check. You can even stir it around a bit when your peeking to see if it's done. 

Recipe:

2 teaspoons Coconut Oil
¼ cups Onion, Diced
1 teaspoon Minced Or Bottled Garlic
1-½ teaspoon Grated Or Bottled Grated Ginger
¼ teaspoons Salt
2 cups Water
1 cup Quinoa

Begin by warming up coconut oil in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Dice the onion and place it in the saucpan along with the garlic, ginger, and salt. Stir and saute on medium low for 5–8 minutes or until the onion becomes tender and translucent. Pour the water in the pan and bring to a boil. Add the rinsed quinoa, lower heat to medium low (medium simmer), cover and cook for 20–25 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked.
Salt and pepper as desired. You can reduce the ginger to 1 teaspoon if you would like a more subtle ginger essence.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds very yummy.. I needed more ideas on how to cook quinoa.

    ReplyDelete