Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Breakfast Quinoa

Happy Wednesday, hump day, week is nearly over day. Lately I have been needing something OTHER than eggs for breakfast. I mean, I love em...but there is only so many ways you can scramble, fry, poach, or cook em up. I needed something different. The tastebuds needed something different. Mornings are also the busiest time for me as I'm getting the hubby ready to go out the door, feeding the munchkin, picking up the house, and figuring out what needs to be on my daily agenda. I need something that is easy and quick. Fortunately this recipe is pretty danged easy (just not as quick as a 5 minute egg hehe). Still, it was worth the wait, full of protein, and oh so delish. Not to mention healthy and a great meal to start out the day. In fact. I am going to warm up my left overs in about 5 minutes...or once I get this post finished up. 

So here you go:

Start out with 1 cup water, 1 cup milk, 1 cup rinsed quinoa, 1 cinnamon stick, and 1 dash of salt. Seeeeee how easy that is? I mean, even ditzy Jill in her most airheaded blonde moment can remember that recipe when she's in a pinch ;)

Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan or rice cooker. Bring to a light boil, lower heat, cover, then cook for about 35 minutes. You will want to check it periodically as sometimes the quinoa will get stuck on the sides. Just give the pot (if you are using a saucepan) a good swirling. Otherwise that is it...not a lot of babysitting needed here.

Once cooked, remove the cinnamon stick then top with your favorite fresh berries, milk, cream, half and half, or vanilla almond milk and your choice of sweetener. I'm tellin ya, it's a tasty breakfast. The subtle hints of cinnamon meld so well with the nuttiness of the grain. Not to mention the tart tangy tasty berries you've generously piled on top ;)

Hope y'all enjoy!

Recipe:

Breakfast Quinoa

1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 cup rinsed quinoa
1 cinnamon stick
1 dash salt

Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan or rice cooker. Bring to a light boil, lower heat, cover, then cook for about 35 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Even I think that is worth trying! (Btw, I read all these, but don't always comment)

    ReplyDelete