Sunday, June 26, 2011

Brown Rice Salad

Ok, so I have never really had rice salad before. Never really thought about it before and it's certainly not a recipe idea I would Google. Thank goodness for cooking magazines. They are so fun to look at and can be such an inspiration. This recipe was found in Martha Stewart's Simply Recipes mag that I am finding to be one of my favorites. The meals and ideas are as the name states...simple...easy....and tasty.

So for dinner last night I needed some inspiration for a side dish to work with my honey cumin kabobs that I was grilling up. I also have not gone to the grocery store lately but had a nice assortment of fresh grown veggies picked from the garden. Being celiac, I am sure most of you will agree, I almost ALWAYS have rice on hand. I also like to keep a bag or two cooked rice in my freezer. It's so nice to have at times when you are exhausted and don't have the time or your stomach does not have the patience to wait 20 minutes to cook some up. 

Last night was one of those nights. I had been out and about all day and needed to put together something quick. Kabobs were the perfect main course, but I needed a filling and easy side. After browsing through some Simply Recipes mags, I found it. Rice Salad.

I pulled out a quart bag of cooked rice (which equates to 1 1/2 cups of cooked brown rice). I really don't think brown or white rice would matter much in this recipe. So whatever you have, just use it.  Then I made some alterations....I added 1/4 of the following veggies:

shredded carrots
diced jicama
diced radishes
diced red bell pepper

I then added 1 tablespoon dried onions (not to be confused with onion powder) and 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro. Tossed all ingredients together in a bowl then added 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar. Now the original recipe called for parsley instead of cilantro. Being that I had only fresh cilantro, that is what I used. I think this recipe will benefit from adding a fresh diced jalapeno (which I would have thrown in had there been on available).

Anyway, it was a quick, easy, and healthy side to summer grilled dinner. Enjoy!


Rice Salad

1 1/2 cups cooled cooked brown rice
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 cup minced cilantro
1 tablespoon dried onions
1/4 cup of the following:
diced radishes
diced red bell pepper
diced jicama
shredded carrots

Toss all ingredients in a bowl and chill 10 minutes prior to serving.

1 comment:

  1. this looks really tasty! I'll have to make some this weekend... I use rice a lot as a side and am always looking for a way to liven it up :) Hope you are having a good camping trip!!

    ReplyDelete