Thursday, May 5, 2011

Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup

Yes, this is another creamy soup recipe. Thankfully it is not lacking on the flavor and it is quite easy to throw together. Meaning, if a doped up swollen mouthed Jill can do it, ANYONE can :) I apologize for the lack of chatiness today. The totally awesome pain meds are doing quite a number on me today and I swear there are three computer screens floating about.


Ok, so just so everyone knows, I love roasted vegetables. I will happily gobble up just about any sort of vegetable...even more so if it's been cooked in the oven to a roasty toasty perfection. That being said, I figured....since my mouth is somewhat out of commission and I can't roast up any vegetable side dishes, why not roast them and make a soup instead?


So after searching through my refrigerator I found the perfect base for my soup, a lovely head of cauliflower. I chopped it up into 2" pieces, drizzled about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil on the florets, then gave them a good salting and through them in the oven preheated to 400 on the top rack. The roasting took all of 15-20 minutes (I took them out when they started to brown and when a fork easily pierced them. I also placed 3 nice sized garlic cloves in tin foil, drizzled it with olive oil, then roasted it along with the cauliflower.


While the caulys were baking, I melted 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons sherry, and 1/3 cup diced onion on medium heat. After about 5 or so minutes (when the onion became tender and translucent) I added 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour and made a roux. I then slowly stirred in 3 cups chicken broth and 1 cup milk and brought it to a boil. Then lowered the heat and simmered until the soup base thickens up. At that point I added salt to taste and a dash of pepper.


When the cauliflower and garlic were finished cooking I transferred them into a blender and poured in the soup base. I gave it a good puree'ing until it was a nice smooth consistency (perfect for my swollen and achey mouth :)


I added a generous amount of cracked pepper and was very satisfied with my wisdom toothless friendly lunch :) Now, even if you don't have a black and blue swollen face, you might want to try this recipe out :) It's an easy way to get in your veggies and you might just like it ;)





Recipe

1 head cauliflower cut into 2" pieces
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup onion
2 tablespoons sherry
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
1 cup milk
3 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400. Drizzle 3 tablespoons olive oil on cauliflower florets and spread on a baking sheet. Drizzle remaining tablespoon olive oil on the garlic then wrap the cloves in tinfoil. Place cauliflower and garlic in the oven on the top rack. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until cauliflower is browned and a fork easily penetrates. Meanwhile, add the butter, sherry, and onions in a saucepan and cook on medium heat. After about 5 or so minutes when the onions are tender stir in the sweet rice flour. Cook for another minute then slowly stir in the milk and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer stirring constantly. Turn off burner when soup reaches desired thickness. Transfer into a blender along with the oven roasted cauliflower and garlic. Blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment