Sunday, May 1, 2011

Cinco de Mayo

Happy early Cinco de Mayo. I am getting this posted early for two reasons. First of all, for a yummy Mexified gluten free dinner you all can make for Cinco de Mayo. Second, I am getting my wisdom teeth taken out tomorrow. Sooooooo being that my next week's meals will consist mostly of anything that can be drank out of a straw my culinary adventures will be put on hold.

Now I just have to say....I think it's kind of funny how we as Americans find any way we can celebrate, eat good food, and be merry...even if we have to borrow other country's holidays. Now I'm not complaining, but Cinco de Mayo isn't even Mexico's independance day. That would be in September. Anyway, all that aside, lets talk food. Mexican food to be exact. Funny thing is...I doubt this salad would be found south of the border, but bear with me. It is a lovely little side that goes well with most any Mexican inspired main course.


Now you can really put just about anything in this salad. (which is the case of how most salads go). I chose some simple components as to not overwhelm the flavors of the vinaigrette. Ok....I admit....I would have added more, but I was a bit lazy and didn't want to cut up anymore vegetables hehehe. So on top of a bed of chopped romaine I added 1 diced tomato, 1/2 cup sliced jicama, 1/2 cup sliced red pepper, and 1/4 cup feta cheese. If you are feeling less lazy than me, some other great ad ins could be avacado, corn, black beans, celery, cukes, you get the drift. Now for our vinaigrette puree together the following ingredients:

3-4 tablespoons fresh cilantro
1 garlic clove sliced
1 jalapeno (this ingredient is optional and will add a nice little kick to your dressing)
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons mayonnaise

That would be it for our tasty little salad :)



Chopped Mexican Salad

2 cups chopped romaine
1/2 cup sliced jicama
1 small diced tomato
1/2 cup sliced red bell pepper
1/4 cup feta cheese

For the vinaigrette

3-4 tablespoons fresh cilantro
1 garlic clove sliced
1 jalapeno (optional)
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons mayonnaise

Add dressing ingredients in a blender then puree until smooth and creamy.

Ok, so that is it for post #1 in our early little celebration dinner.

1 comment:

  1. yay! another salad mix to add to our faves lol :) We can put away some salad around these parts let me tell ya! People are amazed at how much stuff we add to the simple 'salad' I'm really diggin that vinaigrette too.... have I told you lately how much I love this blog!? :D
    oh.. and happy wisdom teeth pulling day hehe(cuz we need a reason to celebrate ;) lol) forgive me, it's late :)

    ReplyDelete