Sunday, December 5, 2010

Quinoa Spinach Quiche Bake

This here is a great side dish FULL of flavor and healthy stuff. I mean, you really can't get healthier than the "mother grain" quinoa and everyone knows that Popeye was onto something by scarfing up that little leafy veggies spinach. I threw this little number together by googling some quinoa recipes online. I was looking for a filling side dish for when I had some family members over for dinner. Since I am SO tired of a side of rice (which I am sure most celiacs are). I really wanted something different. Well my friends.....this is different lol! Good....and most definitely different :)

First cook 1 cup rinsed, rinsed, rinsed, and rinsed some more quinoa. Great thing about this little wonder grain is it cooks up just perfectly in a rice cooker. I love that I can throw it in my trusty little red rival and walk away.




While the Quinoa is cooking, blanch 1 cup spinach for about 10 seconds in boiling water then immediately immerse in ice water.

Next saute on medium/high heat for about 10 minutes 1 tablespoons olive oil,1/2 diced onion, 3 minced garlic cloves, dash of red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon rosemary, and 1/2 teaspoon thyme with about 1 tablespoon olive oil.

Once the onion is nice and tender set aside.

In a medium size mixing bowl, blend together 1 cup room temperature cream cheese and 2 eggs. Once blended well, stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 cups cooked quinoa, onion mixture, and strained spinach. 

Place in a small greased cassarole dish and bake on 350 for 45 minutes.

I am really happy how this recipe turned out. I am SURE you can get quite inventive with this recipe. You could substitute the Quinoa for rice or potatoes, add different seasonings, or add different meats. It was a great way to incorporate protien and two nutritional powerhouses and it was pretty danged scrumptious with a shot or two of Tabasco :)


Here be the recipe breakdown:

2 cups cooked quinoa
1 lb spinach (blanched then rinsed and drained)
1/2 diced medium onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon thyme
dash red pepper flakes
1 cup cream cheese at room temperature
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350. Saute on medium heat olive oil, onion, rosemary, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Once onion is tender set aside. Blend together the cream cheese and egg then stir in spinach, quinoa, and onion mixture. Stir well then place in a greased casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment