Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Cinncinatti Chili

I have my friend Holly to thank for introducing me to this wonderful, unique, peculiar, and interesting dish. Now, I did happen to introduce her to Dave, her husband, so I guess it's a fair trade he he he. My bud Holly originates from OH along with this tasty spaghetti topper and a few years back she gave me a couple chili packets. I was addicted from day one. Unfortunately they have corn in them and I HAD to figure out a way to make this awesome sauce (yes, that was a LAME pun) from scratch.

To start off, I enlisted the help of my my munchkin, my cooking partner in crime. She JUST learned about the "peace sign" and I couldn't talk her out of not signing peace for us all! Note she don's an apron just like mommy. I have been known to be a bit of a messy cook and my trusty apron has saved my shirt a time or two.

Now we line up our list of ingredients. Seeeee simple stuff we all have around the house ;) I did forget to place the 2lbs of beef in the picture but we will get to that later.


Start by warming 2 cups of beef broth in a large kettle. Whisk in 3 tablespoons chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 2 whole cloves, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 4 tablespoons cocoa powder (3 if you are one of those weirdos that are not chocolate fans), 1 bay leaf broken in half,  1/4 teaspoon allspice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 2-4 tablespoons brown sugar (now I am a BIG fan of salty and sweet, so I prefer 4 tablespoons. Fans of more salty, just stick with the 2), two tablespoons cider vinegar, and 1 can of tomato sauce. If you like a spicy kick, stir in 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.

Next place your 2 lbs lean ground beef in the mix and stir to break it up.

Once beef is broken up into small bits bring to a boil, then reduce to a high simmer (do not cover). Keep simmering stirring occasionally for at least 2 hours until sauce is reduced and the chili is thick and meaty. Keep chili warm while you boil up your favorite gluten free pasta.

Shred your cheddar and mince your onions and top your pasta as desired :) I like my Cincinnatti Chili topped with good ol' chedder and none on the onions. It's different folks, but boy is different tasty, flavorful, and satisfying! Did I mention how AWESOME it is to incorporate chocolate and dinner!?


Recipe:

2 lbs lean ground beef
1 15oz can tomato sauce
2 cups beef broth
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 whole cloves
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder
2-4 tablespoons brown sugar
3-4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 bay leaf broken in two pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
cooked gluten free pasta
minced onions
shredded cheddar cheese

In large kettle whisk together beef broth, tomato sauce, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, chili powder, brown sugar, cocoa powder, bay leaf, salt, and cider vinegar. Stir in beef until broken up completely and blended. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a high simmer (low/medium heat). Stir occasionally for 2 hours. Top on cooked pasta with cheddar and onions.

*just a note I HAD to add.....I got the "thumbs up" from my bud Holly after her taste test a OH native :)

2 comments:

  1. That looks outstanding... Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not all of it sweetie I promise but I think you can take more than 2 inches, no condom I want you to feel when I cum

    ReplyDelete