Friday, February 18, 2011

Geneva's Creamy Cucumbers

Maybe it's my extreme suffering of cabin and spring fever. Maybe it's because the fresh crisp bite of a cucumber makes my mouth water, or maybe it's because there was a killer sale on cucumbers that spurred me to make this recipe. I just HAD to make my husband's grandma Geneva's Creamy Cucumber Salad. I'll be honest, I was very leery of trying this salad newlywed and eating dinner at her house...creamy cucumber salad? I was not too sure about that...Well, as to my surprise, this is quite the tasty concoction. I have found most anything out of that amazing woman's kitchen divinely crave worthy.

Now as the temperature drops and the storm blows in I am DEFIANTLY making a fresh springy salad. In your face Mother Nature.

All rebelling aside, the recipe is relatively simple.

Blend together the following sauce ingredients:

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup evaporated canned milk
1/4 vinegar (apple cider or white)
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 drops Tobasco sauce. (now this amount will not make it spicy, just add a hint of tastefulness)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon onion salt
(now if you do not have garlic or onion salt, just use garlic powder and onion powder, then add additional salt to taste)

Blend well then set aside.

Next, peel and thinly slice to about 1/8th of an inch thick 5 medium sized cucumbers. Place in a large bowl then pour sauce over cukes and stir well. Let this sit for at least an hour or more.

*disclaimer* The sauce WILL become very runny as cucumbers will weep water. This is fine. Serve this salad using a slotted spoon.

That is all there is to it :) I hope you are brave to make and try this for yourself.


1 comment:

  1. This looks and sounds delicious! I am craving some spring and summer food too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete