Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Roasted Butternut Squash Salad

I am on a salad kick lately. Mostly because I frankly just love salads. Any sort, greens, quinoa, pasta, get the picture? Namely because anything with fresh and crunchy vegetables just tickles my pickle. Plus, salads are SUCH a great lunch for us anit-glutites. No expensive gf bread or processed food garbage to fill your belly.

Now, combine a salad with squash and that's just the bee's knees in my opinion. Now I got this recipe off of a fun site Tasty Kitchen. I substituted the arugula for a fresh spring greens mix and used toasted almonds as that is what I had. The vinaigrette is very light, delicate, and JUST the right amount of flavor to blend with the flavors of the squash. I also opted to not drizzle olive oil on the squash pieces and just sprinkled cinnamon on them and a bit of salt.

Anywho, here is a lovely summer salad that is a perfect light lunch or an accompaniment to any scrumptious dinner you whip up.


Roasted Butternut Squash Salad

1 whole butternut squash cut into cubes
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup roasted almond slivers
4-5 cups salad greens

Vinaigrette
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey

Preheat oven to 400. Spread squash pieces out on a baking sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon and lightly dash salt. Bake squash pieces on top rack of the oven for roughly 10-15 minutes or until they reach desired consistency (I like a bit of a crunch, so I cooked them for about 10 minutes). Meanwhile blend together vinaigrette ingredients. Once squash is cooked, transfer to a bowl or plate and allow to cool in a refrigerator. Sprinkle cooled squash pieces and almonds on salad greens and drizzle with vinaigrette. Enjoy :)

This recipe is featured on the Gluten Free Homemaker's Gluten Free Wednesdays

2 comments:

  1. What a great salad! It doesn't get much better than roasted butternut squash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love squash, so I know this is a salad I would love. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete