Sunday, April 3, 2011

Gluten Free Strawberry Buttermilk Cake

Simple, light, flavorful, and of course....GLUTEN free strawberry buttermilk cake. So for my birthday, I was dubbed as the official "cake maker". I am fine with that. There is not really any other gluten free bakers/cooks in the family so I pretty much expected making my own cake. Now this left quite the quandry....what kind of cake did I want for my birthday?? Well, I will say, the fact that strawberries were on sale, DID have a bit of persuasion as to what I made. So I took a basic white cake mix and de-glutified it with a mixture of white rice, sweet rice, and tapioca flours. Normally I use brown rice with my cake flour blends, but the white rice I thought would ensure a nice fluffy lightness. I also LOVE a good strawberry shortcake, so I figured a strawberry bundt cake would be a great hybrid cake of sorts hehehe.

So here is the recipe for a delightfully simple and tasty bundt cake enhanced with the essence of fresh strawberries.


Buttermilk Strawberry Bundt cake

1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup butter (room temp)
3 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup of the following flours:
white rice (finely ground)
sweet rice
tapioca flour
then 2 tablespoons sweet rice
1 tablespoon tapioca flour
1 tablespoon white rice flour
2 1/4 teaspoon guar or xanthun gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries


Grease and flour (using sweet rice flour) a regular bundt pan then preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, sift together the white rice flour, sweet rice flour, tapioca flour, guar gum, salt, and baking powder then set aside. Then in a large bowl or mixer, cream together sugar and butter. Then beat in the eggs one at a time then add vanilla extract. Now alternate adding the dry ingredients with the buttermilk. Use a rubber scraper to scrape down any flour or butter and mix until batter is smooth. With a large spoon, gently fold in the diced strawberries. Pour into the bundt cake and bake for 40-50 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from pan. Drizzle top with icing and garnish with fresh strawberries.

Icing

Approximately 1 cup powdered sugar
1-3 tablespoons milk (enough to make a smooth icing that can be poured over the top).
1/4 teaspoon orange extract

That's all there is to it! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. WOW Jill, I just had to comment on the DELICIOUS picture! Yummmmmmmmm! That pic would make anyone want to eat this!
    GREAT Job!!!!Love, your #1 fan & ATNB Shar

    ReplyDelete