Monday, May 9, 2011

It's time for muffins! Gluten free, full of flavor, and oh so scrumptious.

Oh yes....normal food. Hello textures, solids, flavors. I am most definitely excited for this post. More for the fact that my chipmunk cheeks are diminished and I no longer resemble a butternut squash head. I am donning some nice blue chops, but thankfully I am able to eat more normal foods. Which brings me to this post. I really wanted a muffin. Mostly because of a new fun website donning tried and true bed and breakfast eats. So I thought it would be fun to de-glutify one of the fun recipes that I found. Now....I REALLY wanted to make the pralines and pecan muffin, but alas....I could not find one trace of pecans anywhere in my house. I am sure they were gobbled up in a manic mode of hunger. Ok, so besides the fact that I was lacking in nuts, I did realize I had coconut and ripened bananas. The perfect combo for the banana coconut muffin recipe.

So here is the recipe for gluten free banana coconut muffins.

2/3 cups brown rice flour
2/3 cups sweet rice flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon xanthun gum
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 bananas mashed into smitherines
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons melted margarine

Topping

1/2 cup shredded coconut
2 tablespoons melted margarine
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375 and line 12 muffin tin cups with paper liners. Then in a large bowl sift together all dry ingredients. Then stir in coconut and mashed bananas. Blend in the milk then fill the muffin cups 3/4 of the way full with the muffin batter. Mix together topping ingredients then with fingers, sprinkle the topping mixture on each muffin. Bake for 25 minutes.



***Helpful note to my devoted readers. When baking the very tasty batch of muffins...don't jump in the shower and forget they are baking. Otherwise, you will need to pick off most of the delectable coconut topping since it will be nicely BLACKENED in the oven***

4 comments:

  1. Those look fabulous thanks for the post and pictures and recipe! I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a chance to make them and I'm SO happy to hear you enoy the blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks just made them and they are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I made them tonight and they didn't turn out right! VERY sticky.... I followed instructions! Any advice on where I may have gone wrong?

    ReplyDelete