Thursday, February 24, 2011

Spiced Quinoa Breakfast

Yes, another Quinoa recipe. Honestly though, I can't get enough of this stuff. It's healthy, it's nutty, it's so versatile. I also love how easy it is to prepare :) Just toss the ingredients into your little rice cooker then go about your morning tasks then 20 minutes later you have a delightful breakfast. 

Start out by rinsing 1/2 cup of golden quinoa. You know the drill with this stuff....rinse, rise, rinse ;) Then place 1/2 orange juice and 1 cup water in a saucepan or rice cooker. Bring to a boil the add the rinsed quinoa. Next, measure out and add to the pot 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, a dash or two of nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/4 teaspoon orange zest. Now comes the hard part....cover it then walk away. I know...tough stuff right?

20-30 minutes later your quinoa will now be nice and cooked and ready. Top with fresh strawberries and add milk, cream, almond milk, whatever tickles your tastebuds. Then drizzle a bit of honey on top and BAM. You have a spicy, tangy, nutrient infused breakfast :)


recipe:

1/2 cup rinsed quinoa
1 cup water
1/2 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
dash or two of nutmeg (or 1/8 teaspoonish)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon orange zest

milk, strawberries, and honey for garnishing

Rinse quinoa and set aside. Bring orange juice and water to a boil. Add quinoa then stir in cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, and orange zest. Cover, then reduce heat to a simmer then cook on medium heat for 20-30 minutes or until quinoa is cooked and there is no remaining liquid.

6 comments:

  1. What a DELICIOUS picture! You make me wan this right now! I never thought to use Quinoa in the breakfast ways that you have shown me. I now want to try this because of you :) ~Shar

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's rainy here today so I needed a hot cereal recipe. Just started doing this in my rice cooker as well. I love the addition of orange juice and zest. Thanks! I also love the look of your site. Very pretty.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummy! this looks fabulous. I love that photo. It is great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to let you know I'm featuring your recipe today on my weekly features. Thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Katie, I am so glad to hear this :) Thank you SO much! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delish! I can't eat oats even if they are GF so this sounds like a great alternative for a hot breakfast. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete